Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Beginning Of A New Year

















>



Lets Start Out With Todays Activities

To day I did a 1 mile run walk and it took me 15 minutes. I actually felt good and am running much better. While stretching, I found I have a significant increase in mobility in my right ankle! Yeah! So for 2008 I have 1 mile accumulated.

Starting Out a New Year Everyone should set goals. These goals need to be quantifiable, definable, realistic, and must have a done by date attached. So here are a few of my personal goals:

  1. I want to weigh 165 by December 31, 2009 with a 15% body fat percentage.
  2. I want to run a 22 minute 5k by September 31, 2009.
  3. I want to run the Marine Corp Marathon in 2010 and finish in under 4 hours.

Here are examples of goals that aren't so good:

  1. I want to get in shape this year.
  2. I want to loose weight this year.
  3. I want to run a marathon.
  4. I want to qualify for Boston this year.

As far as #1 goes, it is not definable or should be defined. What does get in shape mean? It depends on who you are talking to and why they are getting into shape. This goal is too vague.

#2 is more specific and kind of has a date, but how much weight? If I start at January 1, 2009 and loose 1/2 a pound by December 31, 2009, I made the goal. But is that what was really wanted?

#3 has no specific date. There are lots of things I want to do, but because I have never put a date to them and made a plan to do them, I still haven't done them. If your talking about visiting the moon someday, yes that may happen and I can see why you didn't put a date. But if you want to walk or run a marathon, you need to have a plan and a realistic date. Then hold yourself accountable.

#4 is not realistic for the average person. I know of good runners who have been working for years at achieving that. As for me, I am not even worried about running in Boston. Let me actually run a marathon first. See Goal # 3 form the first set.

Here are some helpful hints. Don't get hung up on weight (yes, I know I have a weight goal.) You don't have to have a weight goal. I do for very specific reasons that don't apply to 90% of everyone else. If you set realistic goals, weight will come off.

Don't expect to look like a super model or an athlete. Even really good looking women I know and really athletic men I know would never make the cover of a magazine. Most people you know don't even care that you not on the magazine cover. Those who care most care more about your health than you looks and your health is more important.

Running or Walking 5k Races Is a Fun Way To Get Started. With a 5k goal you can measure improved fitness. By doing a walking or running program you will find you loose weight, build confidence, and you will have more energy. If you do have a 5k or "all the way up to" a marathon goal, don't get caught up with time goals until you understand what is realistic or possible. I had to run three 5k's before I could start setting realistic time goals. Let your first race be just that, your first race where you just want to finish.

Yes, Marathons Are Possible and Realistic. When I turned 36 I went to the Marine Corps Marathon. You look at the people who are running or walking them and you think "WOW! If they can do that so can I!" and you can. Just don't expect to do it tomorrow and don't expect to do it under 3 hours either. Oh! You don't have to run one either. You can walk it. unless you are what they call an elite runner, the people that walk the Marathon get the same prize as those who run it. Time is not that important.

Most importantly, Always see a doctor before you start any exercise or fitness program. Don't set you expectations so high you can't achieve them, but if you fall just a little short of a goal, you should feel happy about the improvements you made.

So How Much do I Weigh? Email your answer to getmyfatbuttinshape@gmail.com and I will announce the winner after January 15th 2009. Good luck!

No comments: