Saturday, August 15, 2009

Exercise Intensity and Workout Update

What About Walking Slow vs. Walking Fast?
There was a comment to my last post that was relating to intensity and the effect of walking slow was compared to walking fast. So if I run or walk at one pace I will burn more calories than if I did the same exercise for the same amount of time at a slower pace. The amount of calories burned has to do with your age, sex, weight, intensity of your workout, and how long you exercise. Age and sex are less of a determining factor. The type of exercise is also a determining factor. so what I have done is looked through the web and found 2 websites that I like with tools for calculating the number of calories burned for any given activity. Check them out.

Calorie Burn Calculator at http://www.internetfitness.com/calculators/calburncalc.htm
Health Status Calorie burn Estimator at http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

One More Thing About Intensity
When you do any activity, your body fuels itself based on the intensity. The lower and longer the intensity, the more fat you burn. The higher the intensity the shorter the length of time you will be able to perform and the more sugar you burn. That is why cyclist, triathletes, and marathon runners have to eat during their competition. So run at and easy pace, for a long time and you will burn a lot of fat.

More Bike Riding and Running
My oldest daughter wants to bike to school. In order to do this, we have to find a path that was off major roads. We used a tool for measuring distances, that I mentioned on the web before, and found a path for her. The next morning, we road to her school. What is nice is that it puts her right where the police direct traffic to her school. One way it is 2.5 miles and took 15 minutes at a nice easy pace. So we road 5 miles. for the week that gave me a total of 12 miles on the bike.

Another daughter of mine loves to run. I took her to a park path and we ran 1 mile. She is young so we ran for 2 minutes and walked for 1 minute. She talked the entire time! It was great. Once we finished, she had to show me how fast she could run one loop of the path. Sher is actually pretty fast and very cute!

An Online Store!
I want to start and online store of people who read my blog. What should I put in it? Email me at getmyfatbuttinshape@gmail.com and let me know what you think. Oh and keep the questions coming!

No comments: